It’s the Law
Businesses have a legal and ethical responsibility to safeguard personal, private and sensitive information. All businesses have occasion to discard confidential material; however traditional trash bins and dumpsters pose a huge security risk. The Federal Trade Commission estimates that as many as 10 million Americans a year are affected by Identity Theft, resulting in the loss of billions of dollars.
Document destruction ensures your privacy and that of your employees, customers, patients, students. Destroying all confidential documents greatly minimizes the risk of not only Identity Theft, but of corporate espionage and security breaches. Shredding takes place in our state-of-the-art trucks, at your location, and is certified secure by NAID.
Federal and state regulations have been established to require businesses to completely destroy, rather than simply discard information. These laws are an important effort to protect the rights and the privacy of consumers. Penalties are high for companies who do not comply, especially pertaining to the areas of health and finance. Coastal Secure Shredding ensures proper and complete document destruction.
Federal and State Document Destruction Laws
Both state and federal laws for document destruction cite a business’ responsibility to safeguard sensitive documents. Not only does the law dictate that sensitive materials must be disposed of properly, but businesses must also take care to pick a certified shredding company.
State of California
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act
Disclaimer: These are only brief summaries of the laws. Consult a legal professional for more information.
What Documents Must I Destroy?
- Credit information
- Credit cards and statements
- Loan documents
- Financial and tax records
- Bank statements and cancelled checks
- Legal records
- Medical records
- Personal identification and social security numbers
- Insurance documents
Let the professionals handle all aspects of destruction, security and recycling.
- Cost-effective solution for organizations large & small
- Secure destruction for offices of all sizes
- Simple, no hassle bins to deposit documents into
- Properly recycled
- Shredded as required or as scheduled
- Mobile on-site or off-site shredding
- Reviewed and monitored by NAID
- You might have to show us where the boxes to shred are?
Do It Yourself
Many companies opt to do their own shredding with a personal shredder from a stationery store.
- Small office shredders are cheap
- Shredders can fit over existing trash bins
Personal shredders are slow, jam up, and require maintenance
- Personal shredders are not efficient or cost-effective
- Personal shredders take time away from real office work
- Staples, paper clips and rubber bands must be cleared
- Varying levels of security – non-compliant
- Personal shredders can produce pieces that can be reconstructed
- Office shredding doesn’t always get recycled
- More expensive considering time and long-term investment
Coastal Secure Shredding is the right solution for your shredding needs. Choosing Coastal Secure Shredding ensures complete and compliant document destruction, ensures reliable and convenient service, and is a respected certified member of National Association for Information Destruction (NAID).